Thursday, September 18, 2008

disaster!

Tumultuous. A perfect word to describe my last 3 days. Dictionary.com defines it as:

tu·mul·tu·ous
–adjective

1. full of tumult or riotousness; marked by disturbance and uproar: a tumultuous celebration.
2. raising a great clatter and commotion; disorderly or noisy: a tumultuous crowd of students.
3. highly agitated, as the mind or emotions; distraught; turbulent.

I'm going with number 3.

Work has been crazy, and a person I held in high regards inevitably fell from grace.

Then there was last night.

Blaine was out of town, so I was asked to do the lesson. That was no problem, I don't mind sharing the Word (especially since I got a new Bible from my ordination service. It's really cool...I'll have to talk more about it later...). But we also were doing worship before hand (and I play guitar/sing in the worship band). That's okay with me, but I didn't want the kids to get an Adam overdose. Also, after worshipping I usually like to just be able to sit and listen.

Anyway, to kick things off the wrong way, I forgot to bring my flash drive with all the PowerPoint slides. Strike one. Lena forgot the videos she was gonna use to preface our devotion. Strike two. And the last strike was a doozy.

We've been low on equipment for our worship team. We don't have but two microphones which really isn't many at all. Last night, though, a nice lady at church let us borrow her mic (which was really nice, by the way...) and suggested that I use it so it wouldn't get broken. Hmm.

During a sound check, I stood up from my stool and bumped my mic stand. It was at this point that things started moving in slow motion. The microphone came out of the holder and began its descent downward to the floor. I watched in horror as it crashed and popped and hissed before finally growing silent.

Strike three.

The lesson was okay, though. I read from 1 Samuel 26 and talked about David and his respect for God...how he could have killed Saul and ended his problems, but he knew that God appointed Saul as king for a reason. David instead trusted God and let Him work things out in His time.

Then I got to practice what I preached. I apologized to the lady and she said it was fine (through clenched teeth...). I'm buying her a new mic this weekend.

But I hold hope that this week will get better. It's almost over, so I guess the odds are in my favor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, you need a paypal account so I can make donations to the hurricane Adam crisis killing mic's across the world. Youre fall from grace comment reminded me of Brave Saint Saturn lyrics since Ive been listening to them a bunch lately. I hope life looks up and I love you so good!