Tuesday, September 30, 2008

experimental tastes

I've been in an experimental mood as of late. Not in a dangerous way - like with drugs or alcohol or anything like that - but rather with cooking and cleaning. I know, dangerous. But that's just my style.

I've gotten pretty good at making vegetable stir-fry. I realize that's not a hard dish to make, but still...it's nice to not screw it up.


Another I'm decent at is spaghetti. In 2004, I had to make it for about 70 kids per week...so yeah. That kind of thing sticks with you.


And another dish I like is steak. In this instance, I made it with green beans, corn, and baked potato. I do my steaks on a Foreman grill after marinating them in a Jack Daniels marinade packet (which tastes amazing). The baked potato is easy...I just wrap the potato in a plastic bag and microwave it for about 2 minutes. It tastes just like it's been in the oven for an hour or so.


But last night, I made a huge mistake. I have made a couple cakes before, and it's not that hard. You just follow directions. But last night I was trying to make a thing of brownies and screwed it up bad. The directions called for 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and I misread it as 1 1/4 cups. So yeah, the mix was nasty and I had to throw it out.

This is why I'm sure I'll have a wife (one day) who can help me out with the cooking stuff. Crossing my fingers.

2 comments:

aStoryofCorrie said...

umm... is it really safe to put microwave a plastic bag? I think not!!

FYI- you can also wrap it in a damp paper towel. but it does take a few minutes longer.

I think now its time for a Florida blog!! :-)

Adam Robinson said...

it was a wal-mart bag...and i haven't had any trouble so far! but i'll try the damp paper towel...