Friday, September 26, 2008

sick & tired...and the office

Well, I'm back at work today. I missed Wednesday and Thursday this week because of some pretty nasty virus I somehow contracted. I had a sore throat last week (around Thursday) and all throughout the weekend. On Tuesday night, the rest started kicking in. Headache, upset stomach...you know the drill. I was at band practice Tuesday night and I could feel my throat deteriorating as I tried to sing. One of the kids actually commented that my voice sounded bad. Gotta love teenagers and their brutal honesty.

So the last couple days I've spent in utter boredom, shut in at my apartment watching The Office (UK version) and Tom and Jerry in between sleeping spells. Crackers and chicken noodle soup have been my diet, and honestly they're all I've wanted. My throat feels a lot better today but the headache and rumbling stomach haven't quite subsided.

At any rate, I did get to watch the first episode of The Office season 5 last night. I gotta say, I loved it. I've read things online and asked a few people what they thought, and the reviews are certainly mixed. But I feel the hilarity is still there as strong as ever. Not to mention Pam and Jim...I have loved this storyline for its entirety (even though their giddiness did get on my nerves a bit last season...). The proposal was awesome though, and it took me by surprise. Kudos to the writers for keeping that storyline interesting. Oh, and Michael and Holly is a good development, as is the love triangle with Angela, Andy, and Dwight. How can one office be so interesting?

Having watched a good chunk of the British version this week, I couldn't help but draw comparisons between Ricky Gervais' David Brent and Steve Carell's Michael Scott. I mean, when Michael grew the goatee, visions of David Brent flashed in my mind. Ultimately Michael Scott is much more likable than David Brent, but part of me thinks it's because Steve Carell is playing him.

Anyway, I should get back to work. Missing two days leaves plenty of makeup work to be done.

No comments: