Monday, December 7, 2009

training to run - week 3: days 2 & 3

Want to hear about a busy Saturday? Then you, my friend, are in luck.

I had planned to get up and run early on Saturday, but as my alarm went off I just wasn't in the mood. Friday night I'd been at my cousin Taylor's house to eat and hang out with him, my uncle Anthony, aunt Son Cha, and family friends Yassir & Michell Janah. I didn't get home until close to midnight and had to be in Memphis the next morning to watch Anthony, Son Cha, and Yassir compete in the St. Jude marathon. I decided to just wait until later in the day to run.

I ended up walking around downtown Memphis from 9 AM until close to 2 PM following the runners/looking for Yassir. After getting home I headed down to work on our church's float for the Holly Springs Christmas parade. I walked alongside the float as it made it's way through town for about 45 minutes.

All this to say that I was pretty exhausted by the time I got ready to run. Corey Garner, who walked along during the parade, wanted to run with me, so I waited a little while for him to get ready. I opted to run around the well-lit square rather than go out to the cemetery at that time of night.

I mentioned last time that my ankle had begun hurting after my run on Thursday. Saturday night it throbbed but overall didn't hurt too badly. I finished up and kept my same pace throughout and Corey did pretty well considering he doesn't run.

Sunday was a different story. My ankle was in some pain. It wasn't swollen but kinda hurt. I bought a brace for it and it made such a big difference. Today my ankle felt great, and I ran without much problem at all.

The runs for these days were the same as Thursday's; a 1 1/2 minute run followed by a 1 1/2 minute walk, then a 3 minute run followed by a 3 minute walk and then everything repeated once.

I went ahead and did extra stretches afterward and iced my ankle for precaution. I've worn my brace tonight but at the moment I feel great. I think what I'm experiencing is backlash from years of not staying in shape catching up with me.

Starting Thursday I will be on week 4. I'm 1/3 of the way through my training! And so far it's been very rewarding. I'm already wearing jeans that I couldn't fit into a month ago and my belt is fastening at the smallest notch. Not too bad for 3 weeks of running!

1 comment:

Alex Fancher said...

I am so proud of you Adam Robinson!!! Keep up the great work! :)