Thursday, December 3, 2009

training to run - week 3: day 1

I decided to blog every day that I run rather than weekly, since I would more than likely forget details that I consider important.

After Monday's run, I had Tuesday and Wednesday off before starting again today (Thursday). I decided to do different exercises on Tuesday afternoon, including benching, sit-ups, and squats. And I overdid it. Wednesday my walking was like that of a zombie...slow and lumbering, complete with various moans/groans.

So this morning when I woke up I was pretty bummed to find that my legs still felt like death. I got a little nervous about running this afternoon on shaky, hurting legs. But by the time this afternoon came around I was getting around pretty well.

I got home and headed out to warm up before my run at around 5 PM. My first run was refreshingly easy. It was for a minute and a half, immediately followed by walking for the same amount of time. I can really feel my stamina picking up during each week.

After that run/walk combination I ran for 3 minutes straight with a walk of 3 minutes directly afterward. It was actually much easier than I thought it would be.

The program called for me to repeat that entire sequence just one time. When I finished, I wasn't nearly as winded as I have been in the past. All signs are looking great for these 9 weeks to be effective.

Saturday I will be cheering my aunt & uncle (and Yassir) on in a marathon for St. Jude in Memphis. I look forward to checking out their techniques and maybe learning a thing or two from them.

Oh I almost forgot to mention this...

When I was running my second 1 1/2 minute run, I felt a cramp or pull or something in my right leg, just above my ankle on the inside of my leg. Afterward, I rubbed it and stretched more before my final 3 minute run, but on the walk home it still felt irritated. I bought an ankle support brace to alleviate the pain (which really isn't that severe at this point) and it feels fine right now. But yeah...anyone have any suggestions/thoughts?

Until next time...

No comments: