Sunday, October 25, 2009

in loving memory of the recently deceased

We have lost a few people around home these last couple weeks. Nothing I can type or emote can help the families who have lost so dearly, but in my own way I would like to pay them a small tribute.

A teenager and her mother whom I love lost a grandmother and mother, Mrs. Valentine, who from what I hear was a great lady. I didn't know her personally, but I know her family...and they are so very dear and special to me. I was able to visit them at the funeral home last weekend and they have been in my prayers. She is in a better place, though...with no suffering and illness, where she can truly rest.

Also last weekend was the funeral for Mr. Cleveland Culver, an older gentleman I have known since I was born. He always had encouraging words for me growing up, and I recall going to his house one summer with my parents where he and his angel of a wife Mrs. Janie gave us fresh vegetables from their garden. He was a farmer and worked very hard all of his life. He lost Mrs. Janie a few years ago but he still kept his faith and smiled every time I saw him. I hated to hear of our loss of dear Mr. Cleveland. Days after his death, a relative (cousin, I believe) Mr. Robert Culver also passed away. He lived a little down the street from the house where I grew up, and was always outside with his family enjoying life. Both men will be greatly missed.

Tonight I heard the news that Mrs. Margie Minor died in her home. She was also special to me growing up. When my mom and dad had to work, Mrs. Margie would take my brother and I in and feed us. We played with her grandkids. She was so very funny and happy. She and my mom would talk for hours it seemed almost daily. I remember being her computer helper while a teenager, helping her print old family photos. I also remember her having us do chores, which I didn't mind. She would always pay us and bring drinks and snacks while we worked. She had many medical illnesses but was always positive. A couple years ago, though, she had a stroke and was only a part of who she used to be. But one look into her eyes and you could still see the same Mrs. Margie we all knew. I am greatly saddened to hear of our loss, but once again...she is far from pain now.

God bless all of these, and their families.

No comments: