Thursday, November 13, 2008

a complaint-filled post

Money. What a concept. We need it but don't want to be consumed by it.

I have a couple things to vent about. For my own personal safety, I'll be vague about one of them but explicit about the other.

First of all, I'm finding myself to be running out of money fairly often these days. It seems like I'm having to coast the last half of the month. Granted I took a vacation last month which was a drain financially (but good for me otherwise), but something pops up all the time. Like this month I have to go to a wedding (more on that later) and of course next month is Christmas. My ski trip is in March and I have to plop down $375 in a couple weeks for a ski pass. And today I found out that some much needed money I was expecting will not be coming to me after all. I had thought about getting a credit card for such emergencies (I know, I know, bad idea...I've read Dave Ramsey's books) but I get denied every time. Turns out that people my age are least eligible. Needless to say, I'm a little bummed about it all.

My other gripe is about this wedding. I'm really happy for my friend, whom I have had a tumultuous relationship with, but by God's grace I've been able to get past it all. I'm actually really excited to see him at this huge time of his life. The thing that bugs me is how much trouble the tuxedo situation has turned out to be. First off, Ben and I went to get fitted a few weeks ago and the store was supposed to call in our information to the Paris, TN (where my friend lives) tux place and we could just pick it up there. Good, sounds simple.

But it wasn't. And isn't. We got fitted by the worst fitter ever. She had to go back and do it again after someone told her she did it wrong. She tried fitting my pants by asking this question, "Where is your belly button?" Did she think I hiked my pants up that high?!? Ridiculous.

Anyway, after all of that, we paid a deposit only to have them return the deposit to us the next day. Apparently we had to pay in Paris. Okay, fine. Then a week later I got a phone call from the store letting me know that my order had to be redone and I had to pay in Oxford. Okay, fine, I went and did all that. They informed us that we had to pick up the tuxes in Oxford now instead of Paris. Alright, can do.

Then this morning I got a phone call saying that I need to come try on the tux because they're afraid that the measurements were wrong. WHAT?!? So I have to go down there and try it on. I'm crossing my fingers that it's right because I have to leave town tomorrow afternoon for rehearsal. I don't think the couple will be too happy if we show up tux-less.

Yeah, it's a frustrating day. And I have to pay for the tuxes today, too. Not to mention the gas to get up to Paris (a 3 hour drive).

As of this point, I'm taking donations.

3 comments:

Clay said...

Sounds sucky... i'm sorry! I feel your pain though. I just had a radiator bust in my car so that was 375 bucks. Just when I thought I was getting ahead. I've read Ramseys books too, and I firmly believe in those concepts. However, I do have a credit card right now because I simply dont have the funds to pay everything off sometimes. But you have to be disciplined enough to use it ONLY in emergencies. So... yeah, it could be a slippery slope

Goose said...

I hate tux fitting. It's really hard to find someone who's even competent, much less good.

I'd give financial advice, but I'm probably not a good source as I've got $60k of debt due to student loans, and that's soon to triple after I get this house. I'm going to be broke for quite a while...

aStoryofCorrie said...

ugh! Money and weddings!!!!

:-) sorry to hear about money being tight...seems the case with lots of people at the moment. Are you tithing?